Sunday, February 17, 2019

Pilot

What do you do when you're bored? Eat? Read? Take Grandma for a walk? One thing I do is turn to Twitter. I like to see what everyone is mad at for the day. It's an awful place, really. However, it is where I turn to for news, sports, jokes, and even some of my friends live in Twitter. One day, a friend of mine was mentioning me in a tweet and we were talking about athletic directors. He asked that when I run my own program if I could get him a job. Now, I'm smart. If I'm going to hire a friend to work for me, it's gotta be in the snack bar of the stadium. Because, you know, free food! So I tell my friend, "I'll get you a job in the snack bar so you can get me a free hot dog during the game". And he told me something that I will never forget:

"Why stop at one hot dog?"

What a wise man. I figured that was a great title for a book. With how fat America is, I'm sure I would attract the fatties thinking the same thing. But until then, I'll use the title for a blog. So, here we are. I'm writing a blog. Wonderful things happen in a blog, right? I mean, there's even a blog called "Accidental Chinese Hipsters"

If that can be a thing, then why can't "Why Stop At One Hot Dog?" not be a thing?

Before I get into the real boring stuff (my blog is not boring, don't say that), I have to take this time to introduce myself. I'm a married dude. My wife's name is Alexi. We were wed to one another April 21, 2018 in the Phoenix Arizona Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Temple.  I'm a special education teacher. I teach students with less than stellar behavior. Some behavior worse than others, but really, they just have a higher case of the wiggles than the rest of the Middle School aged population. They're young, they're squirrely, and they're funny.

Some of the things they say are hilarious. I have a student named Kellen. He's a sweet boy that takes everything literally. Even when it's written. Kellen approached me to tell on a student for being on his phone. This student was Jesus. Now, Kellen has only seen his name written on paper, but has also heard the Spanish pronunciation of the name. So when Kellen came to my desk he said "Jay-Zues is on his phone".

My students range from 6th to 8th grade and their education level ranges from 2nd to 6th grade. With them all having different learning levels, I have to find things to appeal to the masses. One day when I had them write, we never finished because I was spelling everything for my students. The next day, I introduced them to a dictionary! However, they don't know how anything is spelled that a dictionary would be too hard for them to find out how a word is spelled. So, I had them get on their laptops, and start a blog. I asked them to write about their favorite things. As you can guess, most of them are writing about video games and candy, but, they're writing.

It's awesome to see them write! They hate writing when it's pencil to paper, but when it's on a laptop, they just go bananas! So, while I encourage them to write, it pushes me to do something I truly enjoy; spelunking. Just kidding. Writing!

So, here we are. Again. Not talking about hot dogs, which is fine. I want you to know, I plan on writing more. My mom has the greatest blog. She is constantly writing about what makes her happy. She writes about her family, goals, religion, work, you name it. She pushes me to write more and I never have. But that stops today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Garbage men work everyday, not just Monday's and Thursday's

When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? Kids have a lot of the same answers. Firefighter, astronaut, teacher, button...